Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Honesty of Children

This year, I have been meeting with a small group of special needs students almost daily. We worked our way through Odd Weird and Little by Patrick Jennings, then did a bunch of picture books. One of those picture books was Toys Meet Snow by Emily Jenkins. They really enjoyed it so I thought that our next chapter book might be Toys Go Out. They hung in for the first chapter and seemed to enjoy it; but yesterday, I had to stop midway through chapter 2. I finished chapter 2 today but the students seemed disconnected. I don't think they got it. So I asked them if they thought we should continue. One boy, who usually gets the read aloud and can answer questions appropriately said, "I'm just not getting it."

Not the right book at this time. I thanked the students for their honesty and promised that we would find a "just right" book for our next read aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment