Tuesday, January 5, 2016

I Did it!

I recommitted to my yoga practice two years ago this month after completing chemotherapy and as I was about to start radiation therapy. I started going to a wonderful studio that was recommended by my patient navigator at the hospital where I was treated. The classes were perfect for me, gentle yoga for stress relief, mindful yoga and other gentle yoga classes. Within six months, I was practicing daily and adding some more rigorous classes, including a bone strengthening class. 

I am so grateful to my practice and my teachers at the two studios I use now as well as all the teachers I have had in the past when I practiced occasionally.

I have seen a marked improvement in my flexibility, some improvement in my balance and core strength. I have internalized the mantra, "It's your yoga. No judgment." Whatever I can do on a particular day is fine.

Last night, a favorite new-to-me teacher walked the class through the steps to do a half-headstand and I surprised myself by getting up onto my forearms and balancing with my toes touching! Woot! A first!

I remembered it as soon as I woke up this morning and thought about it several times today with a smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment